Request for editor scripting help

Idan Arye GenericNPC at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 14:47:29 PDT 2013

On Friday, 9 August 2013 at 06:41:10 UTC, Brian Schott wrote:
> I've been making some progress on a project called DCD[1],
> which is D's answer to Go's Gocode[2]. It's a command-line
> client/server autocompletion program for D built off the same
> lexer/parser/ast code that powers DScanner.
>
> I'd like to get some help writing integration scripts for the
> editors that I don't use such as Vim, Emacs, Sublime, and of
> course your favorite that I left off the list. If you have
> experience scripting your text editor of choice and some spare
> time to play with new and unstable software, please consider
> creating a pull request.
>
> [1] https://github.com/Hackerpilot/DCD
> [2] https://github.com/nsf/gocode

I wrote the Vim script for your Dscanner, so it shouldn't be a
problem to copy it and convert ti to use DCD.

But before I do that, I need you to implement a very important
functionality that Dscanner has - the ability to take input from
SDTIN. Without this, we would have to save the source file before
we can query it - and saving the file is not something an
autocompletion feature should do...

It would also be nice to be able to trick DCD into thinking that
the data it got from STDIN is actually the content of the unsaved
source file. I don't think it should affect the results now, but
it might have impact on features you will add in the future, and
I think all editors should support it before those new features
come out.

Anyways, I think such a project should be integrated with a build
system, so it could take the import information(and maybe some
other data) from there.