working on the dlang.org website

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Aug 10 15:09:51 PDT 2013

On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 05:59:08PM -0400, Jeff Nowakowski wrote:
> On 08/10/2013 04:32 PM, Kapps wrote:
> >
> >The documentation is still almost unusable for me. If I load a tab to
> >view any documentation (example link:
> >http://dlang.org/phobos/object.html#.RTInfo) it will literally freeze
> >Firefox (26, Nightly, happened with 25 and previous versions as well)
> >completely for 10-20 seconds until it pops up asking if I want to
> >stop hyphenate.js because it's taking too long. I had to block it
> >with Adblock Plus for the documentation to be actually feasible to
> >use. And this is on a fairly high end computer.
>

> It's not important that some users find it unusable. What's more
> important is that users get hyphenation, whether they like it or
> not.

I assume you meant that sarcastically, 'cos this hyphenate.js problem
has been plaguing us for how long now, and nobody wants to fix it. :-(

We keep talking about not adding more features to D that don't pull
their own weight, but here's hyphenate.js, that causes all sorts of
problems that users are endlessly complaining about, yet only provides
functionality of marginal value (that hardly anybody even notices,
except when it screws up, like hyphenating identifiers where it
shouldn't). But everyone who tries to do something about it gets
stonewalled.

I guess I'll just continue using dlang.org with JS turned off. *shrug*

Many open minds should be closed for repairs. -- K5 user