std.algorithm unittest OOM & package.d

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 16:26:54 PDT 2013

08-Aug-2013 21:30, H. S. Teoh пишет:
> After the latest Phobos update, I can't run the Phobos unittests
> anymore; std.algorithm runs out of memory.
>
> What do you guys think?

+1

If the package feature is ready I think the problem should be fairly
pull request friendly barring the usual 100-post debates on the most
natural module names.

> In addition to alleviating OOM problems, we'd also alleviate compiler
> memory usage issues when compiling std.algorithm. As well as code
> maintainability issues (std.algorithm is just too unwieldy right now, to
> the point I tend to write new algorithm additions in a completely
> separate project until it's well-tested and ready, before I put it into
> std.algorithm for integration testing;

Amen to that. I think of splitting std.regex as well.
By the end of day module as a unit of encapsulation should have only
what it takes to implement isolated piece of functionality. That should
be applied Within reason obviously as packing similar stuff together
just makes life simpler as long as file is small.

--
Dmitry Olshansky