Something up with the forums?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Aug 10 18:37:19 PDT 2013

On Sunday, August 11, 2013 02:25:33 Iain Buclaw wrote:
> On 11 August 2013 00:16, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote:

> >> My client just so happens to be gmail.  I seem to receive all posts
> >> from everyone... looks like Ali won't receive this message, and I
> >> don't expect this message to show on the forum interface either...
> >
> > gmail never sends you your own responses. Google is "helpful" and filters
> > out the messages that you send to a mailing list when they get sent back
> > to you. That's actually the #1 reason why I stopped using gmail. So, if
> > you're using gmail, that could add to the confusion.
>
> You know, I've never had that problem... and it's not *me* who's
> getting the confusion.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6588?topic=1564

If you never noticed it, I'd guess that you use gmail's web interface rather
than a local client, as gmail will show your sent messages in the threading
that it does. If you're using a local client, that obviously doesn't happen,
since sent messages don't normally get put in your inbox. So, as someone who
uses a local mail client pretty much exclusively, what gmail was doing was
really annoying, particularly since it was constantly breaking up threads that
I replied in. But either you have a very different workflow (like using the web
interface), or your e-mail client is much smarter than mine, or you just
didn't notice for some reason.

But if gmail works for you, then great. This issue was a deal breaker for me.
It took it from gmail being annoying in some of its quirks and how badly it
interacted with local clients to being unacceptably broken.

- Jonathan M Davis

>  It's the fact that I *send* messages to, and
> *receive* responses from people who are using mail clients.  But via
> the web interface, no one could see this activity, which if you are
> some of the few that only use the web interface to communicate, you
> miss out in this way.

I always use the mailing list.

- Jonathan M Davis