Have Win DMD use gmake instead of a separate DMMake makefile?

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 23:46:56 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 11 August 2013 at 05:48:19 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On Saturday, August 10, 2013 14:35:04 Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>> Is this something that would be acceptable, or does building
>>> DMD for
>>> Windows need to stay as DM make?
>>
>> I don't see any problem with it, but that doesn't mean that
>> Walter won't.
>
> Tools built for Unix never work right on Windows. It's why, for
> example, I run git on Linux and don't use the Windows badly
> ported versions of git. Tiresome problems revolve around
> failure to adapt to \ path separators, ; in PATH, CRLF line
> endings, Windows SEH, case insensitive file names, no symbolic
> links, etc., no Perl installed, etc.

Things can be wonky from a vanilla windows command prompt, which
is why I never use any Linux tools there. MSYS makes all those
problems go away. I use git exclusively on windows, but via
gitbash, which is built on top of MSYS.

Of course, it would be silly to require MSYS or Cygwin to build
on Windows, but there's always CMake. A number of open source
projects use it these days. Ship a configuration file with the
source, then the user can generate Makefiles for a number of
compilers and platforms.