Future of string lambda functions/string predicate functions

David Nadlinger code at klickverbot.at
Sun Aug 11 10:23:17 PDT 2013

On Saturday, 10 August 2013 at 18:28:29 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> I find it interesting that very few Phobos devs have weighed in
> on the matter,
> but unfortunately, most of the posters who have weighed in do
> seem to be
> against keeping them.

I am not actively participating in any NG discussions right now
due to university work, but for the record, I am very much in
favor of phasing out string lambdas as well (even if short-term
removal is certainly not possible at this point).

I am sure all the relevant arguments have been brought up
already, so I am not going to repeat them all over again, but in
my opinion, the increased cognitive load for the user (a new
syntax to learn) and the fact that string lambdas can't work for
any cases involving free functions (std.functional importing half
of Phobos just in case a string lambda could need a certain
function clearly isn't a scalable solution) are more than enough
a reason to ditch them.

String lambdas were a brilliant hack back then, but now that we
have a proper solution, it's time to let them go.

David