Is D the Answer to the One vs. Two Language High ,Performance Computing Dilemma?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Aug 11 16:37:28 PDT 2013

On 8/11/13 12:09 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 20:43:17 +0200
> "Tyler Jameson Little" <beatgammit at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I really wish this was more popular:
>> __________________
>> |       |        |
>> |   1   |   2    |
>> |       |        |
>> |       |        |
>> |----------------|
>> |       |        |
>> |   3   |   4    |
>> |       |        |
>> |       |        |
>> ___ page break ___
>> |       |        |
>> |       |        |
>> |   1   |   2    |
>> |       |        |
>> |----------------|
>> |       |        |
>> |       |        |
>> |   3   |   4    |
>> |       |        |

>> This allows a multi-column layout with less scrolling.
>
> Yea, that's another thing that would help.

This is still too rigid. I think the right answer is adaptive flowed
layout (http://goo.gl/CXylLi - warning it's a PDF :o)), where the system
selects a typography-quality layout dynamically depending on the
characteristics of the device.

>> Why can't we get the same for academic papers? They're even
>> simpler because each section can be forced to be the same size.
>
> I keep getting more and more convinced that it's just comes back down
> to the usual old problem of glacial bureaucratic-like nature of
> academia. I truly believe the academic world is beginning to sink under
> the weight of its own outdated traditions. This is just one symptom of
> that, just like all the ways the MPAA/RIAA struggled against the
> societal changes they wanted to pretend weren't really occurring.

That's an odd thing to say seeing as a lot of CS academic research is
ten years ahead of the industry.

Andrei