Have Win DMD use gmake instead of a separate DMMake makefile?

Wyatt wyatt.epp at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 10:48:52 PDT 2013

On Monday, 12 August 2013 at 16:29:36 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> What do you say? Let's throw together an SConstruct for DMD,
> druntime,and phobos, and submit a pull for it?

I don't care as long as you're willing to maintain whatever you
choose.  But SCons?  Granted it's been a few years since I
deigned to look at it, but it's historically caused a lot of
packaging headaches.

> The only downside is that I can predict people will start
> complaining
> about the Python dependency. (Which is why I proposed writing a
> build
> system in D -- it will be superior to make (anything would
> be!), and
> people will have no excuse about what language it's written in.)

Do you plan on bundling it or are you expecting people to install
it?  Does it properly handle library search yet or is it still
using naive name-only lookup? How about environment variables
like CC and PATH?  Has it become resilient against python version
changes completely breaking it?  etc.

Despite how onerous they are, Autotools and CMake have a better
track record that I've seen.

-Wyatt