Have Win DMD use gmake instead of a separate DMMake makefile?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Aug 12 11:13:35 PDT 2013

On 8/12/13 11:06 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
> SCons is not perfect, it has many problem. The biggest of which is no
> resource for development.

I'm hanging a general comment here for a lack of a better place.

We're far from being enamored to make and we have no vested interest in
keeping it. At the same time its place in the dmd foodchain is
relatively modest (i.e. it's not a big hindrance to most developers) and
replacing it with even the perfect tool is unlikely to make our lives
significantly better. Worse, there seems to be no obvious replacement
for make - each seems to comes with its own issues as you exemplify
above for SCons - which further undermines motivation.

Yes, there is duplication across posix.mak and winxx.mak. Inside
winxx.mak there is yet another level of annoying duplication. But we
don't work on those files frequently enough for all that to be a large
problem. That being said, yes, I wish that all got improved. But the
margins involved are small enough to make it difficult for the solution
to become worse than the problem.

Andrei