Have Win DMD use gmake instead of a separate DMMake makefile?

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Mon Aug 12 12:03:00 PDT 2013

On Aug 12, 2013, at 11:43 AM, "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 11:08:18AM -0700, Sean Kelly wrote:
>> On Aug 11, 2013, at 1:36 PM, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On the subject of friction, I believe we make a mistake by making a
>>> dependency on libcurl, a library over which we don't have control.
>>
>> Absolutely.  As much as I like libcurl, I was kind of surprised when
>> it was bundled with DMD.
>
> The one saving grace about this situation that it's possible to build
> Phobos without libcurl, and still get a working toolchain (just that the
> stuff that uses libcurl wouldn't work).

Yep.  The current approach still seems kind of confusing though, because to use std.net.curl you have to manually link libcurl, which makes it not feel like an actual part of Phobos.  I'd kind of like to see std.net.curl live entirely within etc.curl to clearly indicate that it's a separate package.  RDMD should automatically link libcurl as well, if it doesn't already (and I can't recall if it does).  I suppose std.zip is in the same boat.