Is D the Answer to the One vs. Two Language High ,Performance Computing Dilemma?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Aug 12 12:34:22 PDT 2013

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 08:57:10PM +0200, Chris wrote:
> On Monday, 12 August 2013 at 17:23:39 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> >>
> >>D rox for webdev too :) Only downside is it isn't pre-installed like
> >>php tends to be, but it still rox.
> >
> >Hehe, sometimes I have the feeling that PHP is only language that
> >does _not_ rock for webdev :) Well, probably with the exception of
> >Brainfuck. No sure about latter though.
>
> PHP is terrible. The fact that you have to mark variables with $ is
> simply ridiculous. PHP is not very exciting. But it does the job.
> Alas, why do the mediocre solutions always find acceptance?

Marking variables with $ is actually not a bad thing; it helps set
variables apart from, say, type identifiers, functions, etc.. But in the
context of PHP, it's kinda pointless.

But this is only the least of PHP's problems. I'm not going to repeat
what people have said about PHP's flaws, but you can read all about it
here:

	http://me.veekun.com/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/

As for why mediocre solutions always find acceptance, I really don't
know either. I've come to adopt the rule of thumb that if something is
popular, then assume it sucks by default, until it's proven otherwise.
It has worked pretty well for me so far.

WINDOWS = Will Install Needless Data On Whole System -- CompuMan