Is D the Answer to the One vs. Two Language High ,Performance Computing Dilemma?

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon Aug 12 13:23:32 PDT 2013

On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 18:51:39 +0200
"Dicebot" <public at dicebot.lv> wrote:

> On Monday, 12 August 2013 at 16:28:01 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> > Yea. (And for vertical sh'mups!) That's also the reason 4:3
> > monitors
> > would have to be pryed from my cold dead hands. 16:9 is fine
> > for videos
> > and games, but my computer isn't a glorified TV
>
> It has bugged me too in laptop screens but I don't feel it is an
> issue now for large desktop ones. Once monitor gets big enough so
> that you start needing some sort of tiling to utilize the space,
> exact shape does not matter that much anymore. Even typical 24"
> is enough for 3 full-sized terminal windows side by side.
>
> What is completely frustrating though, is horrible DPI on those
> monitors. 1080p on 24" is a joke and it is a de-facto standard.

What I find amusing/depressing about HD is that I was using monitors
capable of higher-than-HD resolutions (and so were most people) years
before anyone had even heard the phrases "high definition" or "flat
panel television". And I was playing higher-than-SD games on my PC long
before HDTV, as well. When HDTVs were still new and expensive (and
they were still making HDTV CRTs - also expensive), I bought a
clearance-sale 21" VGA for $25 which goes all the way up to 1600x1200.