Have Win DMD use gmake instead of a separate DMMake makefile?

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon Aug 12 16:59:51 PDT 2013

On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 11:06:37 -0700
Sean Kelly <sean at invisibleduck.org> wrote:

> On Aug 10, 2013, at 11:46 PM, Mike Parker <aldacron at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Things can be wonky from a vanilla windows command prompt, which is
> > why I never use any Linux tools there. MSYS makes all those
> > problems go away. I use git exclusively on windows, but via
> > gitbash, which is built on top of MSYS.
> >
> > Of course, it would be silly to require MSYS or Cygwin to build on
> > Windows, but there's always CMake. A number of open source projects
> > use it these days. Ship a configuration file with the source, then
> > the user can generate Makefiles for a number of compilers and
> > platforms.
>
> I haven't used it recently, but GnuWin32
> (http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/) provides good ports of *nix apps
> without the need for MSYS or Cygwin.

I can second that. I use GNU's 'grep' and 'tee' from the standard
windows command prompt fairly often, and there's some other good stuff
in there too. (I've tried other versions of 'tee' for windows, but the
GNU one actually seems to be the best. Certainly the fastest by a
good margin. There was one made in C# that was dog slow.) I was quite
impressed with how well they turned out to work even without Posix and
bash.

Perhaps surprisingly though, I don't actually use ls on windows - but
that's only because the win version doesn't give much (any?)
visual distinction of directories vs files. Instead, I stuck an
"ls.bat" in my windows directory that invokes "dir /w %*". Probably my
#1 most used command, aside from maybe cd.

My good experience with some of the GnuWin32 tools is part of what lead
me to suggest gmake. But admittedly I haven't actually tried gmake on
windows, so there may very well be problems with that one, for all I
know.