Have Win DMD use gmake instead of a separate DMMake makefile?

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon Aug 12 18:44:00 PDT 2013

On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 17:42:26 -0700
Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:

> Is is possible from a licensing standpoint to just distribute a copy
> of gmake built by gnuwin?

I don't even pretend to understand one word of any version of the GPL,
so I couldn't say. However, if it were my own project, what I would do
is provide a trivial script to *download* gnuwin gmake binary directly
from the official gnuwin servers (or another legitimate mirror).

I'm neither a lawyer nor a GPL expert, so I can't say 100% for
*certain* (but then, what ever *is* 100% certain in US law without
being individually tested in court?), but FWIW I would be very surprised
if that approach would be objectionable, since we wouldn't actually be
distributing it ourselves, just providing a tool that retrieves it from
the actual distributor.