Is D the Answer to the One vs. Two Language High ,Performance Computing Dilemma?

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon Aug 12 19:24:13 PDT 2013

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 03:00:10 +0200
"deadalnix" <deadalnix at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, 12 August 2013 at 18:57:12 UTC, Chris wrote:

> >> Hehe, sometimes I have the feeling that PHP is only language
> >> that does _not_ rock for webdev :) Well, probably with the
> >> exception of Brainfuck. No sure about latter though.
> >
> > PHP is terrible. The fact that you have to mark variables with
> > $ is simply ridiculous. PHP is not very exciting. But it does
> > the job.  Alas, why do the mediocre solutions always find
> > acceptance?
>
> Rewind history back to early 2000 and you'll understand. At the
> time, PHP was the best solution (which says more about how bad
> the situation was than how great PHP was :D).

Yea, a lot of web development best practices were still in the process
of emerging back then. Nobody really knew how to do it right (being a
brave new world and all that). So PHP was basically just a convenient
preprocessor and a way to glue pages up to a MySQL backend.

Unfortunately, since then it's evolved into a grotesque seven and a
half headed monster that spits acid and consumes kittens. Also, if you
look into it's eyes you'll go insane and try to bootstrap sandpaper.
Or something like that. In any case it's not a pretty sight.