deimos libx11 license

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Aug 12 22:02:52 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, August 13, 2013 05:53:50 luminousone wrote:
> I finely got around to checking the libx11 deimos project for
> updates, i haven't updated in ages, and the github has a LGPL
> license file included with it, is this intentional?, The opengl
> deimos library does not contain this, are all of the deimos
> projects LGPL, or is their some sort of error in this repository
> containing this?

Deimos projects have no relation to each other beyond the fact that they're
all in the same group on github. They're simply D bindings to a variety of
unrelated libraries which were written in C. So, the license of one project
has no bearing on the license of another.

Given that they're bindings, I would expect them to have the same license as
the original C code. In the case of flac, I outright copied the copyrights from
the C code. It really doesn't make much sense IMHO to give the bindings a
different license from the original. At best, you might be able to get away
with marking them as Boost, but since you'd be using the original library to
do anything, you'd still be restricted by its license. But I'm not a lawyer,
so I don't know what all of the murky details are. It just seemed simplest to
me to copy the copyrights over.

As for the opengl deimos project, I don't know what its license is. It's
probably listed in the copyright notices in the files.

- Jonathan M Davis