Have Win DMD use gmake instead of a separate DMMake makefile?

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Tue Aug 13 03:54:37 PDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-08-13 at 09:09 +0200, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2013-08-12 20:06, Russel Winder wrote:
>
> > This is where Waf has a benefit. SCons can put the build system with the
> > project leaving only a Python dependency, but Waf is built for this mode
> > of working.
>
> Why don't they embed Python inside SCons, at least as an option.

SCons is a Python application and so is normally installed in the Python
installation. I am sure there could be a Windows installer created, but
I guess most Windows people use Visual Studio (*). No package-based
system really needs Python shipped with SCons as it is so trivial to
install Python and then SCons. OS X comes with Python pre-installed,
though it is an old version (**).

The reality here is that most major Fortran, C and C++ places are either
politically opposed to Python, or are already using it. The former are
incapable of using SCons and the latter would get annoyed by another
Python installation when they already have one.  Most HPC places are
using SciPy, most banks now use Python, most engineering places are
using Python.

(*) SCons can create Visual Studio projects.

(**) Anyone using Python earlier than 2.7 is either contractually
obliged or nuts. Most sensible folk are already using Python 3.3 or
rapidly moving towards it.  SCons sadly is not Python 3 compatible. At
least not yet, but there are plans.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk