Ideas for a brand new widget toolkit

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 07:28:43 PDT 2013

Coincidentally, I started slapping one together over the weekend.

As you can see, it is hideous:
http://arsdnet.net/gui.png

And if I saw someone else coding a gui the way I am, I'd call
them silly for rejecting all things that are good and decent.

So, what am I doing and why am I doing it that way?

Let's start with the why:

Qt and GTK are just too big, and other lightweight wrappers still
tend to have runtime requirements that i hate. I want to be able
to distribute a stand-alone exe that people can use that is < 1
MB, so there's a reasonable download time from my slow computer.

The qtd and gtkd wrappers make them even bigger and more fragile.
The D forms library is ok, still a bit big and buggy when I
tried, but the real blocker there is zero linux support.

So I'm doing just win32 and xlib, built on my simpledisplay.d
that already provides basics. Since xlib doesn't provide any
widgets, I'm diying there. (But might change my mind later and
dynamically link gtk, idk, the linux version will probably only
be used by myself so it isn't that important.)

My goal: provide very basic, but useful, capabilities in one D
module.

What exactly am I doing? Just drawing rectangles and reading
events (simpledisplay.d supports these, and I'm improving it as
needed for this) and calling it a gui!

I don't my approach of from scratch, custom widgets is a good
idea in most cases.