Have Win DMD use gmake instead of a separate DMMake makefile?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Aug 13 09:10:16 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 11:55:12AM +0200, Joakim wrote:
[...]
> Personally, I like the D-based build system idea.  Distribute
> dmd/phobos with a D-based build tool like dub, which has been
> compiled ahead of time for each supported platform and will compile
> D for you, if you want.  Of course, this means that you'll still
> need to maintain makefiles on the D build machines that will build
> dub for the D maintainers to distribute, but it isolates all the
> complexity of makefiles from end users, so they don't have to touch
> any of that stuff.  Whether that ease of use is worth the extra
> effort, I don't know.

There's no need to maintain any makefiles once the D build tool is
usable. As long as you have a working binary of dmd that can compile the
tool, that's good enough.

For every argument for something, there is always an equal and opposite argument against it. Debates don't give answers, only wounded or inflated egos.