Have Win DMD use gmake instead of a separate DMMake makefile?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Aug 13 09:11:59 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 09:03:12AM +0200, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2013-08-12 00:38, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>
> >Maybe my previous post didn't get the idea across clearly, so let me
> >try again. My underlying thrust was: instead of maintaining 3
> >different makefiles (or more) by hand, have a single source for all
> >of them, and write a small D program to generate posix.mak,
> >win32.mak, win64.mak, whatever, from that source.
>
> If it's written in D it will have the same bootstrap problem. But
> perhaps that's ok since we're moving DMD to D anyway.
[...]

Well, yes, we're moving DMD to D anyway, so we're going to face the
bootstrap problem regardless.

But that's not really what I'm getting at.  My whole point was to have a
"single source of truth" for how to build what needs to be built,
instead of scattering it across 3+ makefiles that need to be maintained
separately.

Never wrestle a pig. You both get covered in mud, and the pig likes it.