Is D the Answer to the One vs. Two Language High ,Performance Computing Dilemma?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Aug 13 09:22:11 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 11:52:23AM +0200, Chris wrote:
> On Tuesday, 13 August 2013 at 01:00:12 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
[...]
> >Rewind history back to early 2000 and you'll understand. At the
> >time, PHP was the best solution (which says more about how bad the
> >situation was than how great PHP was :D).
>
> True, true. There weren't many options back in the day. But that's
> no excuse for bad or absurd language design. $asolutely $no $need
> $to $have $a $syntax $like $this =>
>
> At least it does its job ok.

I honestly don't understand what's so bad about using $ for variables.
That has nothing to do with PHP's *real* design flaws, which are many
and varied. To fixate on $ only hides the real problems, described here:

	http://me.veekun.com/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/

Note that using $ for variables isn't listed there.

"I suspect the best way to deal with procrastination is to put off the procrastination itself until later. I've been meaning to try this, but haven't gotten around to it yet. " -- swr