Future of string lambda functions/string predicate functions

Jesse Phillips Jesse.K.Phillips+D at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 18:40:02 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 11 August 2013 at 18:30:02 UTC, Tyler Jameson Little
wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAICT the old behavior was an
> undocumented feature. I couldn't find string lambdas formally
> documented anywhere, but lambdas are.

They are documented in std.functional:
http://dlang.org/phobos/std_functional.html#.binaryFun

Namely because they are not a language feature but instead the
power of D's other features.

> Comparing function aliases is an optimization, not a feature,

I don't really think it is an optimization either. What Andrei
was requesting was a definition of what constitutes equality for
equality for lambdas. However none of what I said should be taken
to contradict your point that one can still use a named function
to keep types equal.

> If the user needs the old behavior, he/she can do this today
> with an actual function

This assumes you are not receiving a sorted range from a third
party library and passing it to another third party.