Future of string lambda functions/string predicate functions

Brad Anderson eco at gnuk.net
Tue Aug 13 22:44:43 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 14 August 2013 at 02:05:16 UTC, Manu wrote:
> Can you give an example where you've actually used a string
> lambda before
> where the predicate is more complex than a basic comparison?
> Surely the solution to this problem is to offer a bunch of
> templates that
> perform the most common predicates in place of unary/binaryFun?
>
> So rather than: func!((a, b) => a < b)(args)
> You use: func!binaryLess(args)
>
> Or something like that?

How about just "less"?  It's what C++ STL uses (std::less,
std::greater, std::negate, etc...). In C++, however, you have to
do some truly ugly stuff to actually make use of the predefined
function objects...bind1st...eww (the new C++11 bind is only
marginally better but C++11 does have lambdas now at least).