Ideas for a brand new widget toolkit

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Wed Aug 14 00:40:29 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 14 August 2013 at 06:46:53 UTC, Tyler Jameson
Little wrote:
> Just tried to X forward Chrome on a local lan. It worked, but
> it was dog slow. I can't imagine trying this over a dodgy
> network. The problem is likely that Chrome (like most apps)
> makes extensive use of x frame buffer. This is the way many
> apps are going, and that trend is not likely to change.

Yep, this is pretty much the issue. Any application that needs
own rendering (any 3d, web browsers, custom widgets) does not
make use of efficient X primitives - it just renders everything
into buffer and provides it to server as a whole picture. Of
course, X wasn't designed to work remotely in such model.

And I actually doubt primitive-based protocol can be created that
does it generic enough.