std.serialization: pre-voting review / discussion

Kapps opantm2+spam at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 08:08:46 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 14 August 2013 at 14:34:58 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
wrote:
> On 2013-08-14 16:15, ilya-stromberg wrote:
>
>> I think we should avoid mixins as much as it possible.
>> UDA @nonSerialized looks much better, so I think we should use
>> it.
>> Of course, we can leave template NonSerialized(Fields...) for
>> backwards
>> compatible with Orange and, maybe, deprecate it.
>
> Of course UDA's should be the primary use for this. The
> question is should NonSerialized be included at all? Should it
> be included and deprecated or should it just be included?

I don't think it should be included. The UDAs replace it nicely,
and though std.serialization would be essentially Orange it's
still a different library. Some breaking changes are to be
expected, and in this case I think worth-while. Having multiple
ways of specifying options such as non-serialized is confusing.
If you had UDAs available to you from the start, would you have
included the mixins? If not, why include them now? This is
essentially a fresh start, one inside Phobos rather than a
separate library.