Ideas for a brand new widget toolkit

Tyler Jameson Little beatgammit at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 18:03:23 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 14 August 2013 at 17:35:24 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> While remote desktop is decent, it's trying to do too much:
> mirroring an entire desktop is overkill.  Better to use a lean
> client that handles most situations.

Maybe this is because I'm used to Linux, but I generally just
want to forward an application, not the entire desktop. On Linux,
this is trivial:

     $ ssh -X user at host
     $ gui-program <args>

However, Windows doesn't have this workflow, so mirroring the
entire desktop became necessary.

Simpler is usually better, as long as simpler doesn't prevent you
from creating something robust on top.

In a widget toolkit, I think the same applies: make just enough
controls that most people are satisfied, then make the toolkit
easy to extend with custom controls.