Designing a consistent language is *very* hard

Joakim joakim at airpost.net
Thu Aug 15 03:51:09 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 15 August 2013 at 01:59:49 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> On Thursday, 15 August 2013 at 01:56:09 UTC, Tyler Jameson
> Little wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 14 August 2013 at 12:09:27 UTC, Dejan Lekic
>> wrote:
>>> Speaking about PHP... I believe we all read that article. I
>>> could say worse about ASP than what that article says about
>>> PHP.
>>
>> That doesn't mean that ASP is worse than PHP though. PHP is so
>> bad that I've actually considered offering up my time pro-bono
>> to rewrite sites written in PHP to pretty much anything else.
>>
>> The only thing that excites me more than seeing PHP die is
>> seeing IE6/7/8 die, and that's already happening. =D
>
> That would change much, we would still have Objective C and JS.
> And you know that everything MUST be done in JS !

Heh, at my job last year, one guy was duplicating significant
business logic in javascript in the browser, that was already on
the server, so that GUI lag was lessened.  This blew my mind as I
thought it should have been done in AJAX, so that business logic
stayed on the server, as keeping the logic synced would probably
get hairy, even though AJAX is not going to be _as_ fast as local
javascript.  But there were lots of other problems at that job,
and he was so far from the worst of it, that I just looked at him
like he was crazy and moved on. :)

You mention Obj-C: how bad is it?  I don't frequent Apple sites
and nobody really talks about it in my orbit.  I figure it must
be pretty bad since it was designed decades ago and hasn't been
updated much, but I'd like to hear what exactly it gets wrong.