Designing a consistent language is *very* hard

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Thu Aug 15 04:31:41 PDT 2013

On 2013-08-15 12:51, Joakim wrote:

> You mention Obj-C: how bad is it?  I don't frequent Apple sites and
> nobody really talks about it in my orbit.  I figure it must be pretty
> bad since it was designed decades ago and hasn't been updated much, but
> I'd like to hear what exactly it gets wrong.

It has quite an ugly syntax for the calling and declaring methods. Apple
has updated it quite a lot in recent years. It's getting better and
better each year. Some recent changes:

* Modules
* No need for forward references (at least not for methods)
* New object literals
* Fast enumeration (quite old)
* A simple variant of operator overloading
* Automatically synthesizing of properties

Plus a bunch of other things I can't remember right now.

I like the object model and it's dynamic nature. It's easy to call a
method via a selector (string).

--
/Jacob Carlborg