Migrating dmd to D?

Daniel Murphy yebblies at nospamgmail.com
Thu Aug 15 07:10:57 PDT 2013

"Suliman" <bubnenkoff at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:htihsekthjkyhqazuvpc at forum.dlang.org...
> Does anybody work on port D to D?

I've done quite a lot of work on it since dconf.

The progress of making the C++ source 'conversion compatible' is shown here:
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/1980

The porting program is here: https://github.com/yebblies/magicport2

I am currently able to convert the C++ source to D, then build that into a
compiler capable of building itself, druntime, phobos (with unittests), and
passing the test suite on win32.

The next step now is to clear the list of patches by integrating them into
the compiler or improving the converter.  The large parts of this list are:

- Cleaning up macro uses
- Integrating new extern(C++) support
- Splitting up root.c
- Fixing all narrowing integer conversions
- Removing all variable shadowing
- Correctly mangling templated types
- Finding a clean way to shallow copy classes

Once that is done:

- Enhancing the GC so it can destruct extern(C++) classes (no typeinfo
available)
- Porting to other platforms
- Making the generated source more presentable (eg preserving comments)
- Integration with gdc/ldc