Ideas for a brand new widget toolkit

Tobias Pankrath lists at pankrath.net
Thu Aug 15 10:10:04 PDT 2013

On 14.08.2013 19:35, Joakim wrote:
> On Wednesday, 14 August 2013 at 02:23:07 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
[snip a lot of discussion of Adam and Joakim]

>> If we do it right, it will be zero effort :) GNU Screen has pretty
>> much pulled it off for unix terminal programs. GUIs have Remote
>> Desktop and friends... rdp is amazing btw, Microsoft (or whoever wrote
>> it originally and sold it to them) did an excellent job and is a
>> decent counter argument to me -  I think remote desktop is a simple
>> viewer, the rdesktop app on unix isn't a particularly large piece of
>> code and works quite well, but still I like my way.
> While remote desktop is decent, it's trying to do too much: mirroring an
> entire desktop is overkill.  Better to use a lean client that handles
> most situations.

Another solution would be to have a client/server architecture in your
application. Usually the GUI talks via std.concurrency messages to your
business logic and itself receives input events this way. However if
you're doing remote it's transparently replaced with messages over the
network.

Starting a remote session for the first time could involve wget and rdmd
though.

The other option discussed here: 'Yeah, X11 is kinda cool, sadly the
protocol didn't forsee the future 20 years, but the approach is right!'
will be considered failure in 20 years.