Ideas for a brand new widget toolkit

Joakim joakim at airpost.net
Thu Aug 15 12:17:16 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 15 August 2013 at 18:38:40 UTC, sclytrack at tired.com
wrote:

>> There are a lot of possibilities: you could run Qt or Gtk+ on
>> the server and then write a backend for each of those toolkits
>> so they can call the simple Crack server APIs and render to
>> the Crack client.
>
> Gtk Broadway.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr8eo4RlPw4

I saw that a couple years ago, cool demo, though I wonder how
precise or laggy it'd be over the network.  Do you know if
they're using canvas or webGL to render?  All I see online is
that they used websockets for networking.  I did find this cool
post when looking for more info:

https://brendaneich.com/2013/05/today-i-saw-the-future/

I'm skeptical about all the engineering challenges of that GPU
cloud stuff though.

I'd rather work on getting a good thin client going first, which
the web should have been but never got right, before getting into
all this whiz-bang stuff with so many moving parts.