GPGPUs

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Fri Aug 16 05:18:35 PDT 2013

On Fri, 2013-08-16 at 12:41 +0200, Paul Jurczak wrote:
[…]
> It seems to me that you are describing something similar to C++
> AMP, which is a high level, language specific solution to GPGPU
> problem.

C++ AMP may be an open specification but it only targets DirectX. But
the ideas behind it are very sensible, use closures and internal
iteration with library support to drive the compiler to construct the
required kernels.

Today you have to download the kernel to the attached GPGPU over the
bus. In the near future the GPGPU will exist in a single memory address
space shared with all the CPUs. At this point separately downloadable
kernels become a thing of the past, it becomes a compiler/loader issue
to get things right.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk