Can we get a forum section devoted to documentation?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Aug 16 14:04:48 PDT 2013

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 10:52:11PM +0200, Andre Artus wrote:
[...]
> I just noticed when posting my previous reply to you that it
> connected to an NNTP server (I normally context switch on anything
> that takes more than a fraction of a second, so I have not seen it
> before). So I guess that many forum users interface via a
> newsreader. That's seriously old-school.

Actually, there are several things going on here: the forums themselves
are hosted on NNTP servers, but IIRC very few members actually use NNTP
directly. Instead, some proportion use the SMTP mailing list gateway
(which runs mailman, which has a long-unfixed issue which sometimes
rewrites the wrong message IDs, causing threads to break), and others
use the web interface on dlang.org.

But you know what's *really* old-school? IPv4, which was drafted in
1981. And a large segment of the internet still uses it. :) (And that's
in spite of doomsday predictions about IPv4 address space exhaustion --
IPv6 adoption is still slow in many parts of the world in spite of the
address exhaustion having already taken place.)

Frank disagreement binds closer than feigned agreement.