[dox] DDOX (was Re: Can we get a forum section devoted to documentation?)

Andre Artus andre.artus at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 03:42:32 PDT 2013

On Friday, 16 August 2013 at 19:32:41 UTC, Mr. Anonymous wrote:
> On Friday, 16 August 2013 at 19:27:58 UTC, Andre Artus wrote:
>>>
>>> Are you familiar with DDOX?
>>> http://vibed.org/temp/d-programming-language.org/phobos/index.html
>>
>> I have not yet had the time to look into it, but I fear that
>> it would be of little use if it's not the official way of
>> doing docs. Although it may be the preferred option for
>> private projects or projects not directly connected to the
>> main D ecosystem. There is already quite a lot of
>> fragmentation making it quite an effort to find out what the
>> "one true path"[1] is.
>>

>> 1. I realize that there isn't truly such a thing, but an
>> opinionated starting point is of great help to noobs. The
>> major feature to popularize Ruby on Rails when it first kicked
>> off was, in my opinion, the "on rails" part. You had a very
>> clear indication of where to start, and what the
>> best/accepted/expected practices are. Once you have accustomed
>> yourself to the language and framework you can find ways to go
>> crashing through the bushes if you feel the need to do so.
>
> It's planned as the official way of doing docs.
> There are pull request for it, but it's going nowhere for the
> past several months.
> A related thread:
> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/dsnpggjmndaxiusfqhjk@forum.dlang.org

I have looked at it now, and it seems to me to be a great
improvement but the content needs to be updated.

If this is going to be the new official way, and all that is
needed is someone to start porting/updating the content then I'll
sign up for that.

I think it wise to first get it up to date before doing major new
additions. Who is working on this at the moment?