std.serialization: pre-voting review / discussion

John Colvin john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 04:49:54 PDT 2013

On Saturday, 17 August 2013 at 08:29:37 UTC, glycerine wrote:
> On Wednesday, 14 August 2013 at 13:43:50 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 14 August 2013 at 13:28:42 UTC, glycerine wrote:
>>> Wishful thinking aside, they are competitors.
>>
>> They are not. `std.serialization` does not and should not
>> compete in Thrift domain.
>
> Huh? Do you know what thrift does? Summary: Everything that
> Orange/std.serialization does and more. To the point: Thrift
> provides data versioning, std.serialization does not. In my
> book:
> end of story, game over. Thrift is preffered choice.

Thrift is the preferred choice when choosing a library for ALL
your possible serialization needs and more. However, standard
library modules are not about including every possible
convenience, it's about providing solid building blocks for
creating larger frameworks.

What you're suggesting leads directly to the clearly idiotic like
"std.stdio sucks because it's doesn't have a printRainbows
feature"