Experiments with emscripten and D

John Colvin john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 14:16:58 PDT 2013

On Saturday, 17 August 2013 at 20:58:09 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> On Saturday, 17 August 2013 at 20:42:33 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> And you'd have to sandbox the code since arbitrary D code
>> running wild
>> on the user's computer is a Bad Thing(tm). Which runs into
>> GC-related
>> issues when your client is a low-memory handheld device.
>> Though arguably
>> this would still be an improvement over JS, since an
>> interpreted
>> language necessarily uses more resources.
>
> You are getting pretty close to NaCl idea :)

Yeah, I was thinking that :p

NaCl seems designed mostly as native extensions for the
html/js/css world.

I was thinking bigger: The browser as a (transient, if
appropriate) application delivery system.

I really dislike html and css for anything other than simple
documents, it quickly feels like one big patchily supported
corner-case. Anything other than simple uses ends up requiring
significant abuses, even if you're lucky enough to be working in
a hypothetical totally standards compliant environment. Even
something as simple as a drop-down menu with persistence means
either: massively abuse css OR use JS.

What I'm imagining is a truly dynamic web-delivered UI with
native speed and processing capability, not just a faster web-app.