Experiments with emscripten and D

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 21:52:14 PDT 2013

On Saturday, 17 August 2013 at 16:43:14 UTC, Piotr Szturmaj wrote:
> What happens when you forget a semicolon or a comma? Or make
> some typos? It silently breaks. I don't care if there are tools
> to help with it. It's still a mess. Did you see WAT
> (https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/wat) ? If not, please
> do. Here are some examples of JS "additions" which WAT
> demonstrated:
>
> [] + [] // yields empty string
> [] + {} // [object Object]
> {} + [] // 0
> {} + {} // NaN
>
> Seriously, WTF!

I could explain, but I'm not sure you are interested. The
ambiguity on that one come from {} being either an object literal
or a block statement.

I feel pretty confident I can do a wat speech for D.

> Obviously, you can't share every possible code. It's about
> sharing the cross cutting parts. Imagine an application with a
> server, web frontend and desktop frontend. With shared
> codebases, you could write one client code. Just use the same
> abstractions for the web and for the desktop. Then you can
> create similar interfaces from the same codebase. It's a huge
> win. Duplicating efforts is tiresome, error prone and obviously
> takes time.

It has already been done, but didn't caught up. Actually I can't
even find theses project in google, so I guess ti was a compete
fail.

It worked, but cause many problem, especially securitywise.