Experiments with emscripten and D

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 05:48:47 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 18 August 2013 at 11:21:52 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
> On Sunday, 18 August 2013 at 04:52:16 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
>> I feel pretty confident I can do a wat speech for D.
>
> I can't think of many wats. There are questionable design
> decisions, annoying things that look like they should compile
> but don't (local variable alias to non-global template errors
> anyone?) and performance pitfalls, but nothing so gloriously
> broken as what javascript achieves.

I know many of them. That is probably because I'm working on SDC,
so I have to dig into dark corner of the language, nevertheless,
it is really possible to do.

In fact I planned to do it, but Denis Korskin warned me about the
bad image it would create of D, and I have to admit he was right,
so I abandoned the idea.

> Coming from a C(++) perspective has prevented a lot of complete
> gibbering insanity from occurring. In particular, having a
> basic respect for data-layout at the machine level and an ethos
> of not doing very costly implicit type type-conversions has
> staved off a whole horde of crazy.

I'm not here for nothing :D