std.serialization: pre-voting review / discussion

Andrej Mitrovic andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 07:51:54 PDT 2013

On 8/18/13, David Nadlinger <code at klickverbot.at> wrote:
> On Saturday, 17 August 2013 at 08:29:37 UTC, glycerine wrote:
>> If you
>> are going to standardize something, standardize the Thrift
>> bindings so that the compiler doesn't introduce regressions
>> that break them, like happened from dmd 2.062 - present.
>
> On a related note, we desperately need to do something about
> this, especially since there seems to be an increased amount of
> interest in Thrift lately. For 2.061 and the previous releases, I
> always tested every beta against Thrift, and almost invariably
> found at least one bug/regression per release. However, for 2.062
> and 2.063, I was busy with LDC (and other things) at the time and
> it seems like I forgot to run the tests.

I think it would be good if we added Thrift and other test-cases, for
example from the D Templates Book, to the test machines. But since
there's a lot of code maybe the test machines should run the tests
sporadically (e.g. after every #N new commits), otherwise pull
requests would take forever to test.

Alternatively we could at least try to test these major projects with
release candidates Normally the project maintainers would do this
themselves, but it's easy to run out of time or just to forget to test
things, and then it's too late (well we have fixup DMD releases now so
it's not too bad).