My thoughts on D

Jason den Dulk public2 at jasondendulk.com
Mon Aug 19 06:00:27 PDT 2013

> 1) The library is getting wider. Good. But as of now, it is
> still TOO MUCH in the c++ style, in which you have to go to
> github to grab some non official libraries.
> Sometimes it works, sometimes it won't (of course it will
> compile but not easy to use or error prone -> not a good
> standard for a language)

You could have two schools of thought about this.

Either have a library that includes as much as possible,
everything that could be conceivably used. (Called "batteries
included")

Or a smaller library that focusus on the more common stuff that
can be reasonably expected to used in most programs. (Called
"some assembly required")

The advantage of the former is that you don't have to hunt as
much for lesser used code.

The advantage of the latter is that it is easier to maintain and
the library maintainers can focus on providing those components
well, and have better assurances that what's in the library is of
good quality.

I don't know what Walter's long term plans are for Phobos, but I
personally favour the latter.

Also remember that D is still fairly young. It's code base is
growing, and I image the library will grow too. Give it time.

> 2) In comparison, when you use Python, everything is under your
> hand. No real need to go on github or so on to keep working.
> Everything feels "safe".
> We miss a "gathering point". A bit like pip or the deprecated
> easy-install.

I presume you mean a code repository where libraries are kept and
can be downloaded and installed via a special program. One exists
for D. Its called "dub".