A Discussion of Tuple Syntax

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Aug 19 10:20:58 PDT 2013

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 06:53:05PM +0200, Wyatt wrote:
[...]
> >This is the third or fourth time that I know of that tuple syntax
> >has come up, and as of yet, nothing has been done about it. I'd
> >really like to get the ball rolling on this, as I think a good
> >syntax for these tuple operations would do D a world of good. I'm
> >not a compiler hacker, unfortunately, so I can't implement it
> >myself as proof of concept... However, I hope that discussing it
> >and working out all the kinks will help pave the way for an actual
> >implementation.
>
> Great! After this, let's fix properties. ;)
[...]

What I'd like to know, is how all of these proposals address the
fundamental differences between "symbol tuples" (compile-time construct)
and std.range.Tuple (runtime construct). As far as I can tell, people
are still confusing the two, and it's really not helping. Before we
solve this, any syntax suggestion seems more like a mortician's work
than a real solution.

MACINTOSH: Most Applications Crash, If Not, The Operating System Hangs