Ideas for a brand new widget toolkit

Joakim joakim at airpost.net
Mon Aug 19 11:13:55 PDT 2013

On Friday, 16 August 2013 at 12:36:39 UTC, Wyatt wrote:
> On Thursday, 15 August 2013 at 18:35:22 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>>
>> I've only done X11 forwarding over ssh, both WAN and LAN, it
>> was incredibly laggy in both cases.
>>
> As Andrei and I have pointed out, NX does a much better job of
> things.  If nothing else, read the explanation of how it
> works-- there are perceptual subtleties to this that aren't
> apparent at first glance:
> http://www.nomachine.com/documents/NX-XProtocolCompression.php

I don't much care if X11 can be made faster.  Unless you plan on
bundling an X server with your Windows app, it's not an option
for a cross-platform GUI.

In any case, if X11 is in fact similar to the approach I laid
out, I obviously think that approach can be done speedily, though
X11 probably bites off too much whereas I carefully constrained
the problem for my Crack client.