std.serialization: pre-voting review / discussion

David Nadlinger code at klickverbot.at
Mon Aug 19 13:01:45 PDT 2013

On Monday, 19 August 2013 at 19:47:32 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
> Versioning is an integral idea of formats like Protobuf and
> Thrift. For example, see the "A bit of history" section right
> on the doc overview page. [1] You might also want to read
> through the (rather dated) Thrift whitepaper to get an idea
> about what the design constraints for it were. [2]

By the way, to be honest, this is also the main point that makes
me feel uneasy about including Orbit in Phobos at this point:
Sure, it has been around for some time, but as far as I can tell,
not a lot of people are using it right now, and what seems to be
entirely missing from the docs is a clear design rationale,
outlining its goals and explaining how Orbit compares to
well-known existing solutions.

It seems to me that a large part of the discussion in this thread
can be attributed to that fact, i.e. a lack of
understanding/agreement what the module is supposed to be in the
first place.

David