OT; Will MS kill .NET ?

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 18:40:13 PDT 2013

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 18:28:37 -0700, Nick B <nick.barbalich at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I can across this off-topic. It is 2 years old, but it seems well
> written.
>
> http://i-programmer.info/professional-programmer/i-programmer/2591-dumping-net-microsofts-madness.html
>

> Here is a preview book from MS, to back up this point above:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/microsoft_press/archive/2012/08/20/free-ebook-programming-windows-8-apps-with-html-css-and-javascript-second-preview.aspx
>
> Has anyone heard anything more up to date ?  Will MS just let .NET
> slowly die ?
>
> Nick

They'd LOVE to, but they can't, it's just to entrenched on the server.
They're working on replacing it slowly with node.js and the like, but
it'll be a LONG time before server devs are willing to use it for mission
critical stuff, if they ever are. More likely, it'll end up like Java, pay
VERY close attention to moves that Miguel de Icaza makes very carefully,
nobody is better positioned to take up the .NET flag than him and his crew
at Xamarin.

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender