OT; Will MS kill .NET ?

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Tue Aug 20 00:29:02 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 20 August 2013 at 01:28:38 UTC, Nick B wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I can across this off-topic. It is 2 years old, but it seems
> well written.
>
> http://i-programmer.info/professional-programmer/i-programmer/2591-dumping-net-microsofts-madness.html
>

> Here is a preview book from MS, to back up this point above:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/microsoft_press/archive/2012/08/20/free-ebook-programming-windows-8-apps-with-html-css-and-javascript-second-preview.aspx
>
> Has anyone heard anything more up to date ?  Will MS just let
> .NET slowly die ?
>
> Nick

Usually these articles are written by people without proper
Microsoft ecosystem experience.

I do consulting both on Java and .NET worlds mainly.

.NET is still going strong, Microsoft has done quite a few
updates in the form of .NET 4.5 recently and most talks at BUILD
2013 were about .NET.

What has happened was shift to the native runtime WinRT (which is
basically COM) as the common platform. Althought only for Window
Apps, not desktop based.

.NET is fully supported and no different than MSVCRT for C(++),
or phobos for D.

--
Paulo