Why I chose D over Ada and Eiffel

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Tue Aug 20 03:52:40 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 20 August 2013 at 07:21:43 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 8/20/2013 12:02 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> On 2013-08-20 00:14, Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>>> Note the holding back of std.serialization until it has full
>>> support for
>>> ranges.
>>
>> I guess we won't see any std.serialization then. It cannot
>> fully support ranges
>> until the backend does, in this case std.xml.
>
> Why not?

As far as I understand the problem, current std.xml
implementation does not allow to implement lazy range-based
archiver in terms of Phobos.

Not however, that I have not delayed voting until
std.serialization gets full support of ranges - only until its
API gets support for ranges such that implementation can be later
added in a non-breaking way, for example, with new archivers.

There is some small discussion on this topic. Unfortunately I had
not take the time to study source deep enough to state what
reasonable requirements can be here (ones that won't require
Jacob to re-implelement half of the package) but I am definitely
going to.