Why I chose D over Ada and Eiffel

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Aug 20 07:30:20 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 08:58:54AM +0200, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2013-08-19 23:17, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>
> >Yeah, in this day and age, not having native Unicode support is
> >simply unacceptable. The world has simply moved past the era of ASCII
> >(and the associated gratuitously incompatible locale encodings).
> >Neither is the lack of built-in strings (*cough*C++*cough*).
>
> Oh, what I wish that was true. We're still struggling with encoding
> problems at work due to browsers and third party services and tools
> not being able to handle Unicode.
[...]

Well, I was referring to languages and systems invented today. Obviously
there is still a large amount of legacy code that can't handle Unicode
yet, but any new language or new system invented today has no excuse to
not support Unicode.

Those who've learned LaTeX swear by it. Those who are learning LaTeX
swear at it. -- Pete Bleackley