Why I chose D over Ada and Eiffel

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Aug 20 07:33:39 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 11:19:27AM +0200, Chris wrote:
> On Tuesday, 20 August 2013 at 07:08:08 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> >
> >You can use this tool to automatically generate bindings to C
> >libraries:
> >
> >https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/dstep
> >

> Great stuff, Jacob! Congratulations.
>
> One thing that is usually not mentioned in articles about D is that
> you don't need an IDE to develop in D. This was, if I remember it
> correctly, one of the design goals.

Was it a design goal? If so, kudos to Walter. :) Because one of my
criteria for a better programming language when I decided that I was fed
up with C++ and needed something better, was that it must not have undue
reliance on an IDE or some other external tool to be usable. Thus, Java
was disqualified (too much boilerplate that can't be adequately handled
without an IDE -- of course, there were other factors, but this was a
big one). It must be usable with just a text editor and a compiler. D
fit that criterion rather nicely. :)

If creativity is stifled by rigid discipline, then it is not true creativity.