Why I chose D over Ada and Eiffel

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Aug 20 11:32:43 PDT 2013

On 8/20/2013 11:17 AM, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> On 20/08/13 19:47, Walter Bright wrote:
>> This style of programming has been around at least since the Unix "pipes and
>> filters" model. It also appears as C#'s LINQ programming style.
>>
>> However, LINQ and Clojure were not direct influences on D's ranges.
>
> Since Clojure is more recent than D, and AFAICT its sequences API seems to have
> arrived in later versions of the language, I wondered if the influence had been
> in the opposite direction.
>
> When were ranges first introduced in D?

Eh, I'd have to go back through the github history :-(

The idea goes way back. Matthew Wilson and I were thinking about how to do C++
STL-like iterators, which were based on a pointer abstraction. I thought it was
natural for D to do it as an array abstraction. There are some posts about it in
the n.g. somewhere. The idea languished until Andrei joined us and figured out
how it should work, and ranges were born.