std.serialization: pre-voting review / discussion

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Tue Aug 20 13:06:11 PDT 2013

On 2013-08-20 20:04, Walter Bright wrote:

> You can hide comments from ddoc by not starting them with /** but with /*

Yeah, I know that.

> Doesn't make sense to me. I would think the archive would be what is
> created, not the creator.

I guess it could be called "archiver", or do you have a better suggestion?

> What confuses me here is the conflation between the archiveR and the
> resulting archive, i.e. "an archiver creates an archive". Saying
> "archive creates the archive" is a bit of a disastrous conflation of the
> terms, as it makes the documentation a constant source of confusion.

Would calling it "archiver" or some other name be better?

> Some exposition of this is necessary, along with some comments along the
> line that the package provides a generic archiving interface, and a
> couple implementations X and Y of that interface, and that other
> implementations such as Z, the zip archiver, are possible.

I don't understand what's so confusing.

"This is the interface all archive implementations need to implement to
be able to be used as an archive with the serializer".

--
/Jacob Carlborg